Glenn had maintained a very active life until he was nearly 100 years old. Then he fell in the shower on Father’s Day and his life took on a different aspect.

Having been born half way through World War I and a wireless operator in Halifax and Blenheim Bombers during World War II, Mr Brown had maintained a very active life, being a keen bowls player and gardener until he was nearly 100 years old. Then he fell in the shower on Father’s Day (19 June) and his life took on a different aspect.


While there were no fractures, Mr Brown had seriously damaged his left knee and leg, requiring admission to University Hospital Llandough. After developing infections and requiring intensive mobility support, he remained in hospital until early October 2016. With the exception of one day – his 100th birthday in August, for which his family and friends had arranged a 70-strong party


By September he had improved and arrangements for discharge were put in place. Mr Brown lives alone in his own home; his daughter lives in Kent and when she was notified that discharge was imminent, she was very concerned for his safety. This is when Sharon, the Occupational Therapist for the Community Resource Team (CRT), came to the fore, a person referred to by Mr Brown’s daughter as “a remarkable woman”.


There was already a stairlift in Mr Brown’s house, a legacy of his late wife’s needs, and he had received a lift and rise chair for his 90th birthday. Sharon arranged for additional equipment to be provided – a zimmer frame, chair raisers, 2 perching stools (one for upstairs and one for downstairs), a commode, a bed frame to help with getting in and out of bed, grab handles and two raised toilet seats. Care and Repair were commissioned to make his twopart front door open fully to ensure that he can get in and out of the house without falling. A team of carers was arranged: 2 each morning and evening to assist with getting up and going to bed and improving Mr Brown’s mobility, then a single carer every lunch and tea time to assist with meals. There was also physiotherapy support – which included being taught how to use the lift and rise chair – and support from the social care team. When Mr Brown first came home he was unable to stand up alone; but 8 weeks later, he was able to take himself to the toilet and the kitchen, so that he can make choices about what he would like to eat. He has learned how to make a cup of tea, and he has also been outside in his precious garden. He aims to get back to the bowls social life once the bad weather has ended.


All of the co-ordination took account of his daughter’s availability in her fortnightly visits to Cardiff, and she really appreciated that consideration. She reported that she found the team always very contactable; on no occasion has she not received a response to her phone calls.


Mr Brown’s daughter was clear that she could not speak highly enough about the team and service, commenting, “My father is so much better now that he is at home.”


For a printer friendly version of Glenn’s case study click here.